16 July 2007

New Content From Here

I've just completed a wish list of around 30 or so I'd like to see fixed, changed or created in Vista (and in some cases, retro-fitted to XP).

I also did a commented picture show of a typical Bart mOS session, stepping though verifying each safety level before reaching for the next, as outlined in this PC Crisis article.

I've always wanted to re-use blog posts as structured web pages, so as to combine the simple creation and consistent style of a blog site with the ongoing re-usability of a formal web site.  I find I can do that on the other blog by combining the "list" feature with jump-pad blog posts full of links.  I'm used to this structure from a closed mOS wiki I did a while back.

What this may mean, is less (or perhaps, different) content here, with links from here to there.  I like the lack of adverts on this site, but I can't see as easy a way to get it to do what I'd like done.

5 comments:

kurt wismer said...

not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say you want to be able to create a structured web site that reuses blog posts as it's contents... is your wish list link an example?

if it's of any interest/help, i managed to get this post to work using del.icio.us linkrolls... i don't even have to edit the post to update it, i just bookmark new entries with the appropriate tags... i haven't even looked at it in ages - perhaps i should have though, because it seems to be growing to unwieldly proportions...

Chris Quirke said...

Hi, Kurt!

Yes, that permalink goes to a "jump pad" blog post. I can then create a List of links to such pages, as you can see top left if you visit my other blog.

So if you go to that "blog", the top left links allow you to use it as if it were a (collection of) web sites - just what I want!

I like your list, BTW... ah, the tar pit of malware taxonomy ;-)

kurt wismer said...

ok, i think i see what you're talking about now... i wasn't seeing the menu before, it didn't register... i suppose if you switch your template over to the new layout system (or if you're already using it) it's relatively easy to make a static (rather than dynamic) menu in the sidebar, but i don't know how you'd get that dynamic menu at the top without some hacking...

Chris Quirke said...

There's a new layout system?

Actually, static's OK, though it would be nice to nest this navigability by refreshing the link panel according to whatever page is current.

I was thinking more of using full posts as the jump pads, with the link panel as a static top level (essentially, a "list of sites").

I've also just realized I can do that on Blogger anyway, by using its own permalinks within the built-in "other sites" list. Cool!

kurt wismer said...

well, if you've found the "other sites" list then i think you've found the layout system...

it used to be you had to hack your template (which i did) to get anything similar to that functionality but the big blogger upgrade gave us a layout system that makes things a lot cleaner...

maybe i shouldn't have called it "new" since it's been around for a bit now, but since i've been a blogger user since early 2004 it still feels new to me...